Colorado Black Women for Political Action: 36th Annual “Tribute to Black Women” Award Luncheon Honorees
Colorado Black Women for Political Action (CBWPA) announces its 2015 “Tribute to Black Women” award recipients who will be honored at CBWPA’s 36th Annual Award Luncheon on Oct. 10, at the Renaissance Hotel, Denver. Seven outstanding African-American women will be recognized by the organization for excellence in the categories of Education, Politics, Business, Cultural Arts, Community Service, Legend (senior citizen) and Youth (recent high school graduate, college –aged youth). In addition, the organization will recognize one woman to receive a “Special Recognition Award for Lifetime Achievement and Excellence.”
The 2015 “Tribute to Black Women” honorees are:
- Education- Barbara Allen, Founder, Denver School of History, School and Debate, retired Denver Public Schools teacher;
- Politics – Rev. Dawn Riley-Duval, Co-Founder, “Black Lives Matter 5280”, political advocate and social justice advocate;
- Business – Hon. Claudia E. Abernethy, small business owner and tenant rights activist;
- Cultural Arts – Dr. Claudette Sweet, vocalist and musician, specializing in promoting cultural awareness and Negro Spirituals;
- Community Service – Jandel Allen-Davis, MD, Vice President, Government, External Relations, and Research, Kaiser-Permanente;
- Legend – Jeweldine Blair, life-long civic leader, community volunteer, and recipient of “Women of Courage: Unsung Sheroes Award”; and
- Youth – Daryn Alexandria Fouther, East High School graduate, teacher’s assistant and tutor with Girls, Inc., entering Colorado State University in August, 2015.
- Special Recognition Award for Lifetime Achievement and Excellence – Rosalind “Bee” Harris, Publisher, Denver Urban Spectrum.
The CBWPA “Tribute to Black Women” Luncheon will be held on Saturday, Oct. 10, at the Renaissance Hotel in Denver. The event starts at noon; doors open at 11:30 a.m.
Editor’s Note: For additional information about the event and to purchase tickets, ads or sponsorship opportunities, visit website www.cbwpa.org. For information about the honorees, contact Toya Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-552-4261.